Elk at Home on the Prairie
More than 15 years have past since Elk were first reintroduced onto Fort Riley. During that time, the elk herd has evolved to become a symbol of Fort Riley, a symbol that has restored a native component to the Kansas Flint Hills. For those who have experienced the elk firsthand, it is a sight they most likely will never forget.
Custer House Brings Fort Riley Past To Life
A simple white picket fence borders one of several limestone houses on Fort Riley’s Sheridan Avenue. Unlike the other historic homes, though, Quarters 24 remains in its 19th century flavor.
While it’s called the Custer House, presumably Brevet Maj. Gen. George Armstrong Custer and his wife, Libby, occupied a similar set of quarters while stationed at Fort Riley in 1866.
Gatherings on the Prairie
Rob Dudley often wondered about people who just one day walked away from seemingly great jobs with no real plans in place. Then one day he woke up and became one of those people.
The early history of Fort Riley is closely tied to the movement of people and trade along the Oregon and Santa Fe Trails. These routes, a result of the United States perceived "manifest destiny" in the middle of the 19th century, extended American domination and interests into far reaches of a largely unsettled territory. During the 1850s, a number of military posts were established at strategic points to provide protection along these arteries of emigration and commerce.
These are from a photo essay showing scenes from a ranch
in Geary County over a five-month period.